Follow these holiday safety tips for an enjoyable holiday season.
Evergreen Elf™ believes Christmas should be a time of joy, not tragedy. Simple fire safety and prevention measures go a long way to avoid Christmas tree fires and ensure your family has a safe and happy Holiday season. In addition to having Evergreen Elf monitor your tree’s water level to prevent a fire, here are a few more holiday safety tips that will be beneficial for anyone this year.
- Test smoke detectors. According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), smoke detectors should be tested at least once a month, and batteries should be replaced at least twice a year.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher in the home in a place that has easy access. Most modern extinguishers will maintain pressure for 5-15 years. Check that the needle is in the green area once monthly when conducting fire safety inspections. Older extinguishers should be checked by a professional.
- Use tree lights that produce a low heat. This will also reduce the drying of the tree.
- Inspect your lights prior to use. Frayed wires, exposed light sockets, exposed wires or a broken or cracked light socket means it is time to replace your lights with new ones. And don’t just throw the old ones away! Christmas lights can be recycled, too – be sure to look into local options available each year around the Holidays.
- Don’t overload the electrical circuits with light strands. Low-wattage strands help to reduce the draw to the socket. Where possible, distribute Christmas lights between electrical outlets and between home circuits.
- Have and review a fire escape plan with your family. The National Fire Prevention Association has great tips for all ages to engage in a fire escape plan.
Christmas tree fires account for over $17 million in damages annually. Despite popular belief, research has shown that artificial trees catch fire as often as live trees. Evergreen Elf believes that freshest is best. For more live Christmas tree care and holiday safety tips, please contact us today.