Be sure to follow these tips to ensure your Christmas tree stays fresh throughout the Holiday season.
Keeping your tree hydrated used to be a chore. Climbing over gifts and under branches and sticking your finger in dirty water is a thing of the past. Put Evergreen Elf™ to work for you! Although Evergreen Elf is hard at work, he needs your help with Christmas tree watering. Be sure to follow these tips to ensure your Christmas tree stays fresh throughout the Holiday season.
- If your tree is pre-cut, be sure to cut approximately 1/2” from the bottom of the trunk. Sometimes growers and retailers will treat the bottom of the tree with a resin intended to retain moisture in transport. This should be removed prior to placing the tree in the stand.
- Your tree stand should be able to hold 1 quart of water per inch of tree diameter. The stand should be able to fit the width of the tree without having to whittle down the trunk. Leave the outer layers of the tree intact, as they are the most efficient water absorbers.
- Do not leave the tree out of water for longer than 6 hours after cutting the trunk to ensure that the tree will still take up water.
- According to a study conducted by the University of Wisconsin, freshness additives like sugar aspirin or vodka have no effect and are not needed to keep a cut tree fresh. Simply using water is the tried-and-true method of Christmas tree watering.
- The tree stand should never run out of water, and the trunk should always be submerged. Let Evergreen Elf alert you to low water levels!
- Throughout the season, monitor your tree for freshness. Look for an abundance of falling needles and conduct needle tests periodically.
- After Christmas, or when the tree is dry, remove it from the house and dispose of it properly. A dry tree should not be stored in a garage or shed where it could pose a risk of fire.
- There are many uses for Christmas trees after the holiday season! Christmas trees can be used for habitat restoration for birds and fish or soil erosion barriers, or they can be recycled for mulch. Be sure to consider the options in your area.
For further questions about Christmas tree watering, please contact us here at Evergreen Elf today!
FAQs About Christmas Tree Watering with the Evergreen Elf
You love having a real Christmas tree in your home, but you don’t love making sure your tree stays properly hydrated throughout the holiday season. The Evergreen Elf can help, and we’ve answered a few questions about it here.
How do I know if my Christmas tree needs water?
Your Christmas tree needs water if the needles on your tree start to look more brown than green. Ideally, you should be watering your tree every day, especially the first week after you bring it home. If you have a hard time remembering to water your tree, the Evergreen Elf is a great investment to make to protect your home from fires.
Why do I need an Evergreen Elf?
House fires caused by dried-out Christmas trees are a major concern every holiday season. An Evergreen Elf can help you prevent your tree from drying out and becoming a fire hazard this holiday season.
Where does the Evergreen Elf go?
The Evergreen Elf goes at the base of your tree, and the sensor goes into the water stand so that it touches the bottom. You can still place gifts under your tree, and it will be able to alert you to when you need to give your Christmas tree more water.
Does the Evergreen Elf use batteries?
Yes, the Evergreen Elf can only monitor your Christmas tree water levels if it has working batteries. The batteries last about three months, so we recommend putting in a new set at the start of every holiday season.
Where can I make a purchase?
You can buy an Evergreen Elf directly on our website! If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.